Our Training. Learning to dive
We have 3 types of membership:
Scuba Divers, Snorkel Diver and Associate membership.
Divers are from 16 years and competent in the water (see acceptance test below) and will have to pass a doctors medical. Training takes place in three stages. All training is not rushed and is designed to build up water confidence in the trainee.
1. Pool training takes place every Sunday morning at the Regional Sports Centre.
2. Lectures take place before the pool at our club house (beside the Jolly Mariner apartments).
3. Open water training takes place during the summer months on Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 6pm for diving and snorkeling respectively. At weekends during the summer the club heads off to places like Kilkee Co.Clare, St Johns Point Donegal, West Cork, Killary and many others around the coast of Ireland.
Crossover diver – (PADI, BSAC, DAN etc)
Please contact the diving officer for more information. This is dealt with on a case by case basis depending on experience.
An acceptance test and annual fitness test must be completed.
1. In the swimming pool complete the following:
a. Swim 200 meters freestyle without stopping.
b. Swim 50 meters backstroke without stopping.
2. Head underwater, hold breath for 30 seconds within 5 minutes of a. and b. above
Min 12 years old to 80! Must be competent in the deep end of swimming pool.
Annual fitness test.
Associate membership is for the non-diver/ snorkeler who would still like to be involved in club activities but not in the water. Contact us for more information
For more information on diving in Ireland click on the Find a club link: diving.ie/join-a-club-today/
All membership is reviewed each winter at the start of pool training and cannot guarantee that we will be taking on new members.